International day for Biological Diversity
Birds show diversity in their color, habitat, behaviour as well as their feeding habits. Following are the varietty in the feeding habits of the birds.
1. Granivourous birds : Are the birds which feeds on grains. for example: Sparrows
2. Fruigivorous birds : Are the birds which feeds on fruits. for example: Parakeets and Koel
3. Flesh eating birds : Are the birds which feeds on fresh flesh. for example: Prey like Eagles, Kites, etc
4. Piscivorous birds : Are the birds which feeds on fish. for example: Gulls, Terns, etc
5. Scavengers : Are the birds which feeds on dead animals. for example: Vultures and Crows
6. Nectorivours birds : Are the birds which feeds on nector of flowers. for example: Sunbirds
7. Insectivorous birds : Are the birds feed on insects. example Bee-eaters.
8. Omnivorous birds : Are the birds which feeds on variety of the foods. They feed on grains in non-breeding season and feed on insects or small mammals.
In the following poster we have shown some of the examples of the diversity in the feeding habits of birds.
Photo-credits: Clockwise from Left top: Sparrow (Avinash Bhagat), Rose-ringed ParakeetPsittacula krameri (Rohan Bhagat), Changeable Hawk Eagle Nisaetus limnaeetus (Siddhesh Surve), Black-headed Gull Chroicocephalus ridibundus (Asif Khan), Egyptian Vulture Neophron percnopterus(Siddhesh Surve), center: Purple-rumped Sunbird Leptocoma zeylonica (Pranit Gupte)